Today the voice is going to show you how she made a new cushion cover for an old cushion. This is a very special cushion because it’s going in my new space!
It’s really easy to make a cushion cover, for an old cushion, by using an envelope fold. You can hand stitch or machine stitch. I chose to machine stitch.
For this project you will need:
- Enough fabric to cover your cushion front and back.
- 22 x one inch mini hexagonals (you could use scrap material for this or I used Very Berry Handmade’s, lovely liberty hexies)
How to make it:
- Start out by measuring your cushion. Measure the length and the height.
- If you are going to use the same fabric front and back then measure a length of fabric that is twice the length of the front of your cushion plus four inches. If you are using separate fabrics or don’t have a length of fabric long enough, refer to the diagram below.
- Join your pieces of fabric together as shown above.
- Sew a three-quarter inch hem to edge one and edge two.
- Now design the front of your cushion. If you are going to use my design you will need twenty-two hexagonals of the appropriate size to fit on your cushion cover (see pictures and diagram below). I used one inch hexagonals. Alternatively you can make up your own.
- Once you have pinned your design in place, sew it down. I kept it simple with straight lines from point to point of the hexagonal (see pictures). I also sewed around the edge of the design to give it definition.
- If you’re hand sewing use small slip stitches to attach your design.
- When you’re finished, if you’ve used the caterpillar design, you can hand sew a little face on him to make you smile.
- Once your design is complete then fold the back two edges into the middle so they overlap and they are right side to right side.
- Then sew along the long edges.
- True inside out and insert cushion cover. You should now have an up-cycled cushion!
Have fun and I’d love to see your designs so don’t forget to share them in the comments box below!
Don’t forget I also have a giveaway running until the end of the week for three handmade, cot-bag and grab-and-go-bag sets. Click on the link for more. (UK residents only)